Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Bathroom Revealed.

We have been cra-zay insane busy. We have been diligently working away like two little giant elves preparing for Christmas at RHN. I know, I know, people say it doesn't have to be perfect because it's 'just family', but let me tell you, in my little world it does have to be as close to perfect as possible. Label it 'you crazy girl' OCD or just plain OCD, but everything has its spot and it needs to be there and only there and look purdy. Sue me.  


So, let's talk about the bathroom, shall we? I owe you a giant picture loaded update of the one room in our house that has fought with us every.step.of.the.way. This bathroom went from disgusting to pretty decent. From ugly duckling to beautiful swan. From crusty and dilapidated to smooth and sturdy. So, what did we change in the bathroom? We changed EVERYTHING. Ok, with two exceptions: the door and the window (as in the physical window because it was new). Everything else is brand spankin' new. EVERYTHING. So, shall we take a trip down memory lane and visit the cringingly-ugly moldy bathroom?







UGH. ugh. ugh. Ew. Yes, they're technical terms for my disgust. 

Now it has morphed into: 







There you have it. Our morphed from yuck into palatable bathroom. Like many other instances, these pics don't really do the room justice. I want to say right off that the art work was done by Cman in the second grade. LOVE it. Ok, so...We installed all new: insulation, sub floor around the toilet and tub, holy sheet!rock, bathtub, tile in the tub (white subway), plumbing, window molding, electrical outlets, sconces, light switch, floor molding, floor tile (marble), sink, vanity, toilet, shower head and faucet, recessed light, fan, accessories, etc. I don't know the exact total budget for this project, but my close guesstimate is around $2100.00. Considering we gut this puppy down to NOTHING and had to replace integral elements within the structure (sub floor anyone?), around $2100 isn't too shabby. Of course, that $2100 is pure parts no labor costs since my dad, brother, brother-in-law, Ed, and I did all the work ourselves. We didn't have to rent any tools (we had most of them, and whatever we didn't have Ed celebrated xmas early by buying the tools), but I have to confess the color wasn't always that pretty calming gray/blue (Behr's Urban Mist). The original color was drama-llama-queen peacock blue. Oh it was so pretty, but oh so wrong for the space. Want to see?


Yes, the latter color chosen was definitely the better choice. Oh well, don't know until you try, right?

So there you have it kids, the big ol' bathroom reveal. What are your thoughts? Does everyone approve? Disapprove? Was it worth the wait? Am I asking too many questions? Who wants ice cream? 

I'll be back this weekend with a new and improved house tour. Riveting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment